As the president who launched the War on Terror, he had many stirring comments to make.
It is hard to deny this, no matter what your opinion of George W. Bush was during his presidency. Here are the 12 best George Bush quotes that inspired the country during a difficult time.
- “America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud.”
- “America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people.”
- “Any government that supports, protects or harbors terrorists is complicit in the murder of the innocent and equally guilty of terrorist crimes.”
- “Do I think faith will be an important part of being a good president? Yes, I do.”
- “Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended.”
- “Great tragedy has come to us, and we are meeting it with the best that is in our country, with courage and concern for others because this is America. This is who we are.”
- “I believe in the transformational power of liberty. I believe that the free Iraq is in this nation’s interests. I believe a free Afghanistan is in this nation’s interest.”
- “Hundreds of thousands of American servicemen and women are deployed across the world in the war on terror. By bringing hope to the oppressed, and delivering justice to the violent, they are making America more secure.”
- “I believe the most solemn duty of the American president is to protect the American people. If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch.”
- “I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon.”
- “I sent American troops to Iraq to make its people free, not to make them American. Iraqis will write their own history and find their own way.”
- “I understand everybody in this country doesn’t agree with the decisions I’ve made. And I made some tough decisions. But people know where I stand.”
Despite the fact that our 43rd president was known for his semi-frequent verbal lapses, some of the best George Bush quotes are not comical but inspirational.